Bone marrow plays a very important role in the regulation of our body. A healthy bone marrow reflects healthy condition from the outside of our body. However a problematic marrow can cause a different set of problems, which can be deadly in most of the cases. Bone marrow is the site from where the blood cells originates. This phenomena is popularly called as hematopoiesis, which takes from hematopoietic stem cells or HSCs. Two types of marrow are present in our bone. Red marrow and the yellow marrow. Red marrow gives rise to the red blood cells or RBCs that forms the actual foundation of blood. This RBC gives the characteristic red color to the blood. Other cells regulating in the blood is white blood cells, and platelets, each of which are suspended on the plasma part of the blood. Thus problems in the bone marrow can make the total body suffer very badly.
The problems regarding bone marrow can happen at any age, any moment of time. Although there are multiple techniques for the treatment of bone marrow problem. However the most effective technique be the bone marrow transplantation. Replacing the diseased or the inactive bone marrow with a healthy one taking from any other healthy donor or with self-body also. When transplantation involves an external healthy donor, a lot of factors are considered. As they might cause graft versus host rejection resulting into serious effects in the host body. These phenomena can appear because as the cell from others body transferred to the host body, the process is called grafting. So before transplantation there are many precautions that must be taken to ensure patients compatibility. The bone marrow cells isolated, first is treated and diagnosed in the laboratory with chemical agents to make it ready for the transplantation to the host body. After transplantation is successful it will readily start producing blood cells that can help the host in various ways, which he was suffering previously like anemia, thalassemia and many other related problems.
Transplantation of bone marrow involves different types:
- Autologous transplant: in this transplantation the host receives marrow from their body like peripheral and also cord blood.
- Syngeneic transplant: transplantation happening between two identical twins is Syngeneic.
- Allogeneic transplant: This transplantation involves exchange of marrow from siblings, parents having a good check at the HLA identity.
- Haploidentical transplantation: This is an alternative method applied when any sort of transplantation can’t be done, as there is no HLA identity.
- Stem cells from Umbilical cord: This is also called as allogenic transplant. It is done by isolating cells from the umbilical cord and transplanted. So it is very much important that the umbilical must be stored after the delivery at cryo condition.
Leukemia is one of the worst type of cancer that affects mostly the children. So for this situation pediatric bone marrow transplantation is very common presently. Best pediatric bone marrow transplantation in India, occurs at many places under the guidance of expert doctors and the outcome has a lot of positive effects.
Any symptoms regarding these type of diseases should be reported to expert doctors at the very onset. This can help in better tackling of the disease.