1. Health

Answers to common questions about medical tourism in India

India is among the leading destinations for medical tourists from all over the globe.

This medical tourism guide is a compilation of the common questions or FAQs that international travellers have about medical tourism in India.

Which are the common medical treatments for international travellers in India?

Cardiac and orthopaedic treatments, which are very expensive in the U.S., Great Britain, and other western countries, are preferred by international travellers in India. Some sought-after treatments by medical tourists are a cardiac bypass, hip and knee replacement surgeries, eye surgery, heart surgeries, dental treatments, and bone marrow transplants.

How much does a total knee replacement cost in India, as compared to the U.S?

The cost of a total knee replacement surgery in India is around 1/4th of the comparable cost in the U.S. While the medical cost would depend on the quality of the medical facility and the hospital, the total knee replacement costs in the range of USD 8,500 in India, as compared to USD 40,000 in the U.S.

Which are the leading Indian cities and hospitals in the domain of medical tourism?

Indian metros such as Chennai, Mumbai, New Delhi, and Bangalore lead the growing medical tourism industry in India. Some of the popular speciality and super-speciality hospitals for medical tourism include:

  • Global Hospitals in Mumbai and Chennai

  • The SevenHills hospital in Mumbai

  • Fortis Hospitals in Mumbai and Bangalore

  • Apollo Hospitals in Bangalore and New Delhi

  • The Asian Heart Institute in Mumbai

  • Rockland Hospital in New Delhi

  • Primus Super Speciality hospital in New Delhi

Where do the majority of India’s medical tourists come from?

According to industry estimates, India attracts around 200,000 medical tourists each year. Around 85% of these tourists come from regional Asian countries such as Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. The remaining 15% are visitors from the U.S., Great Britain, and the Middle East.

Is it possible to speak to my doctor prior to my visit to India?

Most Medical Tourism Facilitator in India can arrange for a phone-based consultation between you and your physician, in order to answer your queries and doubts. PSTakeCare also arranges for a free video consultation with the patient and the surgeon.

How much cash can I carry when travelling to India?

According to the foreign exchange rules as stipulated by the Indian government, foreign nationals carrying more than USD 5000 or traveller checks of more than USD 10,000 must declare the same at the Indian airport customs.

Do I need a medical visa for travelling to India?

Yes, all international travellers to India need a visa along with a passport valid for 6 months from the day of arrival. While a tourist visa is sufficient for minor medical treatment such as dental or cosmetic, a medical visa is only required for more complex health complications.


Before undertaking your journey to India, it is recommended that you resolve all your questions about the treatment procedure and costs, the required duration of your stay, and the available medical facilities in order to have an overall positive experience in India. For a complete list of FAQs regarding medical tourism in India, click here.

Comments to: Answers to common questions about medical tourism in India

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *