At present, we can see that the number of people who are betting on natural and ecological products is increasing. With toothpaste is no exception, because many people think that the dentifrices that we find in any supermarket sin by having too many chemical ingredients and very unnatural. If you are one of them, pay attention to this article in which we show you how to make homemade toothpaste with some natural and healthy ingredients for our teeth that will help you to maintain a good oral cleaning and to fight bacterial plaque.
You will need to:
- 10 tablespoons infusion of sage and thyme
- Half a tablespoon of sea salt
- Half a spoonful of baking soda
- 4 drops of mint essential oil
- 4 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 7 tablespoons white clay
- 1 bottle or glass container
You may also be interested in: Home remedies for teeth whitening.
1: The ingredients that we are going to use to make homemade toothpaste can be easily found at any herbalist’s. Here are the properties and benefits of each of them for our health:
- The sodium bicarbonate is a white solid compound used as a mouthwash for its antibacterial and able to clean the oral tartar properties.
- The sage is a Mediterranean plant that stands out for its antiseptic properties thus preventing possible inflammation in the gums.
- The thyme, like sage, also has antiseptic properties and is used to prevent and act against halitosis.
- The mint is a plant with soothing properties and also has a refreshing taste.
- The tea tree is a medicinal plant with antiseptic properties and is widely used to treat both oral ulcers and oral candidiasis.
- The sea salt is a natural compound with anti – inflammatory properties, making it ideal to soothe sore mouth.
Once we have all the ingredients, we can begin to make our natural toothpaste.
2: The first thing we have to do is make an infusion with sage and thyme separately. To do this, we will take approximately 3 tablespoons of each ingredient and we will mix it with 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Let the mixture stand for 5-10 minutes and let stand until it is completely cold. In the end we must obtain on one hand the infusion of thyme and on the other the one of sage.
3: The next thing we do is to mix the thyme infusion with the sage infusion in a bowl or bowl and we will stir the mixture with the help of a spoon. Next we will take a large kitchen bowl and put 10 tablespoons of the thyme and sage infusion mixture and continue stirring.
Next, add to the bowl, 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt and 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda and stir the mixture well with the spoon.
4: Once we have removed the mixture in the bowl, we will add 4 drops of mint oil and another 4 drops of tea tree and continue beating the mixture with the spoon.
Then we will pour in the mixture about 7 tablespoons of white clay. It is important that you go pouring each spoon little by little and in each one of them you go stirring the mixture to eliminate the possible lumps.
5: The mixture will be ready when it has enough consistency to turn the bowl and not to tip over. If this is your case, the homemade toothpaste will be ready to use. Finally, we add the natural toothpaste in a glass jar to be used in other occasions.
- It is important to use a toothbrush with soft bristles and change it every 3 or 4 months.
- Do not put a lot of toothpaste on the brush as it is very likely to ingest it because of the large amount of foam that will be produced.
- Brush your teeth approximately 3 minutes with vertical and smooth movements to avoid bleeding your gums.
- Thoroughly clean both your mouth and your toothbrush so that no bacteria are left.