Do you find that your mind wanders frequently as you attempt to focus on a task? Are you often preoccupied by the seemingly endless list of remaining duties? If so, you may want to work on improving your concentration. Decreased concentration can affect productivity, morale, and result in a lower quality of work. Below are some strategies and things to take into consideration as you work towards increasing your concentration.
Your environment can significantly affect your level of concentration. A friendly and welcoming environment will enhance your ability to focus on a particular task. If you have a surrounding that is loud, or disruptive it is very unlikely that you will be able to concentrate. You can improve your environment in the following ways-
- Feel Comfortable- Make sure where you sit and do your work is comfortable. Invest in a comfortable chair and keep your desk organized. If you are reading many documents, make sure you are in a well-lit area. Since you will be spending a significant amount of time in your workspace, make it a positive environment! Put up pictures of loved ones or moments that you cherish.
- Put a Full Stop to Distractions- If you are surrounded by other individuals and are distracted by chattering, try listening to white noise in your headphones. If you are easily distracted by unimportant text messages and incoming phone calls, put your phone on silent. Identify distracting factors and find a way to minimize the impact it has on your work.
Nutrition is a factor that many forget to take into consideration as they work towards improving their concentration. Often times a decrease in energy may be due to hunger. Follow these steps to ensure that your nutrition doesn’t negatively impact your work-
- Stay Hydrated- Drinking water keeps us hydrated and encourages movement. Dehydration can cause one to become slow and sluggish, so ensure that you are drinking an appropriate amount of water.
- Don’t Skip Breakfast- Eat a wholesome breakfast as it is the first meal of the day and it can help you get your day off to a positive start. If you do not have a healthy breakfast, you may begin the day unmotivated and distracted.
- Keep Moving- It is important to take a break from sitting at your desk to move around. Standing up and stretching or walking around the office briskly will keep you active and increase your focus.
If you allow yourself to be distracted by a multitude of tasks, you will find that your productivity will decrease. It is better to focus on efficiently completing one task at a time. Below are some factors to take into consideration:
- Focus on one task at a time.
- Always keep your personal and professional life separate. When at the office, do not let your work be affected by personal concerns.
- While working make sure your phone is on silent. Frequent alerts and notifications can be distracting.